Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

First Official Studio

When I was in college I used a storage closet in my small apartment as my studio. Since it was small and had no natural light I usually ended up slogging everything I needed into the kitchen. I had an art room in another house but never really used it to its full potential. Once kids come along a room for art is harder to come by. Now that we're in our new home I have an area I can call my STUDIO.

It's in the front of our house. I wasn't keen to use this room at first because it doesn't have door. It's an open concept little area meant as a music/sitting area or office. There are two windows so during the day I have plenty of light.  Luckily I've been able to keep the kids out and it forces me to be diligent about putting away all of my material at the end of the night.


I share this studio with a piano. She's a quiet studio mate, but she does take up a lot of room. No one in this house plays seriously, but there is interest in it and a desire to play it more often so I will let her stay for a few years.

I'm using our old bookshelves as storage for now. The space is limited, but I've used storage bins to their full potential and stacked on top when needed. The bins are organized by type; watercolour, brushes and tools, acrylic and craft paint and misc. The other shelf has sketchbooks, books, cameras and my beloved label maker. I'm going to confess and nerd-out by telling you that when I feel like my life is too hectic, I organize and label and it makes me feel a lot better.


My desk is large enough for a small project plus the laptop but an additional or larger table may be needed in the future.


I have a couple of open bins on top of the shelves for mail art and inspiration. They are open so I can constantly peek in when I need an idea and a reminder to use some of these interesting found items.

In our move I had to part with a large amount of old books and magazines. Many had not been opened for 10 years and paying for shipping so much material that may never be used seemed rather ridiculous. I do have plans on hitting up antique shops and garage sales in our area to stock up on ideas and material.


For the time being I've decorated with my figure study dude, vases and my mega jar of buttons. One of the walls in this room has what I'd like to call a creative experiment in shelf hanging from the previous owners. There are some decent sized holes that won't look all that great once they're patched. I'd like to make a large, framed cork board to hang art/inspiration/ideas. I'll also hang a few pieces of art from friends and down the road we'll paint.

I have a feeling this room will be in a constant state of change, but I think it's off to a great start.

6 comments:

  1. Lucky you! Lots of storage, light and room to work ~ I'm sure you'll make lots of creative things in this studio. :) I posted about my tiny corner for art a bit ago and am still hunting for the right desk... seeing your space gives me some inspiration. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the button jar...and its so clean!! You'll have to take a picture someday when its messy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so organized and clean :) I especially like the button-filled jar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Valeria! It's a fav of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Valeria! It's a fav of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky you! Lots of storage, light and room to work ~ I'm sure you'll make lots of creative things in this studio. :) I posted about my tiny corner for art a bit ago and am still hunting for the right desk... seeing your space gives me some inspiration. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...