Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

A Good Day

Our Saturdays are packed full of activities these days. I suppose that is what comes of having two small kids and a new house. During the week we often add items to our weekend to-do list so that we can hit the ground running when the kids wake us up. Our list was filling up quickly with items to buy (blackout curtains for the bedrooms, a new swimsuit & pants for the kid who wakes up several inches taller each day) and things to do (organize our garage, unpack boxes, fix deck).

This week my brother-in-law called to let us know that there was a special family day at the airforce base where he works. We could take part in the family activities and my husband was booked to ride on a Sea King helicopter. All the housework was quickly vetoed in favour of a once-in-a-lifetime ride.


Not only did my very lucky husband get to ride, but he was also able to FLY THE HELICOPTER for a short time. He wasn't expecting to fly it and when he returned to the base he rushed to find me and excitedly told me all about it. These are the photos he took during his ride and, yes, he was literally hanging his legs out of the back of the helicopter (while strapped in securely).

On our way to this epic event, we were also able to hit up a local art & craft fair / community garage sale. I was specifically looking for interesting art supplies, old books or materials I could use. I hit pay-dirt when I stumbled upon a large rubber alphabet stamp set.


 I talked them down a bit from their price (which wasn't much) and walked out with a heck of a lot of stamps. It's a full set of upper and lower case letters, numbers & symbols. I would have been satisfied with simply the ampersand and the hand, but having a full set is a huge bonus. They are all in very good shape. The rubber is soft and most have never been used.

Would you believe that we were also able to fit in a shopping trip in after all of this? Clothing was procured for my little beanstock so she won't have to wear skin-tight flood pants. Dark curtains were chosen so bedtime while the sun is still out will no longer be much of an issue.

The things that thrilled each of us on Saturday were quite different, but it was a good, full day.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds Like a super lucky day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm envious of your stamp set! Awesome find! Looks like every part of that day was fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So rad!!!! and I'm talking about the stamps more so than the helicopter... You know I love thrifty finds and fun art supplies. Good gem spotting girl. Hoping to see a new mail art package show up, all stamped up!

    This post also makes me kick myself a little though... For some reason I left a lot of art supplies in some cupboards in my basement studio at my parent's house in Calgary. I think I was trying to not be a pack rat and bring EVERYTHING. Point being, I have around 200 stamps that I have kept since childhood and even have some ink pads from grade school that haven't dried out yet that are alas, stashed many KMS away in those calgary cupboards.

    Will have to remember to rescue them next time I visit, they would be so awesome for mail art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So rad!!!! and I'm talking about the stamps more so than the helicopter... You know I love thrifty finds and fun art supplies. Good gem spotting girl. Hoping to see a new mail art package show up, all stamped up!

    This post also makes me kick myself a little though... For some reason I left a lot of art supplies in some cupboards in my basement studio at my parent's house in Calgary. I think I was trying to not be a pack rat and bring EVERYTHING. Point being, I have around 200 stamps that I have kept since childhood and even have some ink pads from grade school that haven't dried out yet that are alas, stashed many KMS away in those calgary cupboards.

    Will have to remember to rescue them next time I visit, they would be so awesome for mail art.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...