Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Friday Love: Cardinals

In Ottawa I lived in an older section of a suburban area. It isn't very far away from reserved greenspace. This close proximity to natural habitation brought along all sorts of interesting wildlife that I would and would not expect to find in the 'burbs.

Sitting on my front patio in the evening during the summer I would often see either a groundhog or a skunk make the same, daily trek across a few of my neighbours yards. There were also the easily startled but increasingly brave and determined racoons. We had bunnies that snacked on the leftover birdseed with chipmunks who filled their faces so full, I'm surprised they could scamper away. The black squirrels and the occasional grey squirrels bullied the birds away from the feeders. We had a lovely hawk visit us for a while one day, probably keeping tabs on the large amount of chickadees and sparrows. We had bluejays who are lovely to look at, but not as nice to hear. The cooing doves, who always look slightly confused and the starlings, who I really don't like because I was traumatized once. Maybe I'll tell you that story another time.

By far my favourite visitors were the Cardinals. They are easy to spot, since the male is such a beautiful, bright red. His partner was almost always nearby, blending in more easily because she was brown with touches of warm red. They visited often this past summer and it made me happy every time. I will miss my little red visitors.


Male Cardinal. Pen and marker.



Female Cardinal. Pen and Marker.


After doing a few illustrations in my sketchbook I started to skip around the internet looking for Cardinal related imagery and handmade goods. It's nice to see that there are many other people who share my love for this adorable bird.


3 comments:

  1. Thankyou for bringing the Cardinal into your life..and by proxy into my life too:)

    ....when an animal attracts or comes into my life powerfully...I like to look up its energy medicine...and even drawing thinking or acknowledging the animal can bring what Native American's would call the "medicine" into your life...

    http://healing.about.com/od/animaltotems/ig/Animal-Totems-Photo-Gallery/Cardinal.htm

    Here is an excerpt from another ...

    Cardinal:

    Cardinal Medicine renews vitality in life and returns joy, brilliance and balance to the mind, body and spirit. He awakens spiritual transformations, intellectual insights and heightens intuitions and perceptions. Cardinal aids in manifesting dreams and ideas by focusing intentions where it's needed. He adds color and balance to life and demonstrates that everything you do is important. He aids in understanding and helping you find your own song in life. Are you doing what needs to be done or should be done? Pay attention to your diet. Are you eating balance meals; too much or not enough? Cardinal can teach moderation in all things and can help in finding a healthy balance of physical and spiritual. Do you have enthusiasm for a project or idea? Are you voicing your ideas? Are you listening carefully to others and your surroundings. When you listen to Cardinal's lessons, he will teach you strength in creativity and productivity with discernment and balance.

    http://www.starstuffs.com/animal_totems/dictionary_of_birds.htm

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU for these links and the selection of text. So wonderful to find out more about the spirituality and connection of my favourite bird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU for these links and the selection of text. So wonderful to find out more about the spirituality and connection of my favourite bird.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...